Thursday, July 01, 2004

Herding Cattle

In Washington D.C., where I was for the past four days for work, I saw an old friend who helped remind me of a few things. First, seeing Robbe reminded me how great reconnecting with old friends can be. Second, seeing him reminded me how much fun we used to have being geeks in computer labs and putting out the crazy magazine he invented in college. And maybe, most importantly, seeing Robbe reminded me to slow down.

What? You may ask. Slow down? Let me explain. Robbe is probably the one person on the planet that I know who has more plans and dreams than anyone. And he somehow seems to get everything done that he wants to. He wanted to start a magazine in college: done. He wanted to start a company that designs websites: done. Wanted to be in an improv group: done. And so on. Naturally, I am incredibly impressed and had just assumed that he had somehow limitless energy and never slept.

Over lunch yesterday, I was telling him how I often feel like I need to be doing more and fast so that I can accomplish all the things in life that I want to. He told me he'd heard a saying that helped him a lot:

"The fastest way to move cattle...is s l o w"

And for the first time in a while, I got to take a deep breath.
(thanks, Robbe)


Big Winner

Last year, when I attend the same conference, but it was in Seattle, and I was new to the credit union industry, I sat through the entire awards luncheon and watched people receive glass awards and I vowed to return this year and win at least one.

On Tuesday night, during this year's awards presentation (which included an open bar) I drank my whiskey and coke and hoped to win in one of the four categories I'd entered. I did not expect to win three first place awards and the Best in Show award. Note: I did not do all the work on my own. One of the first place awards (best logo design) was entirely for my co-worker and the other three awards were for projects we worked on together. But it was SO cool.

Coolness factors:
1) It's always cool to win recognition for something you've worked hard on
2) I like awards
3) New Mexico never wins awards at these things and we won four
4) I became famous among the conference people and ended up talking to a lot of attendees I may not have otherwise talked to.

Not so cool:
Carrying home four heavy glass things on the airplane.


Communication, Baby

It was absolutely wonderful to be surrounded by 30 people from across the country who do my exact same job. It was great to see friends I made last year and also great to make new friends.

Being with the credit union association communications people was a bit like being with my writer friends at Bennington in that we are all obsessed with the same things.

For example: Ten otherwise hip people in their 20s and 30s were at a restaurant in Washington D.C. on a recent night proofreading the menu.

I can't wait until next June.

No comments: