Friday, November 19, 2004

Jane Smiley

In high school, I had to read Jane Smiley's A Thousand Acres. I hated it. I don't remember why, or even much of what the book was about... but I had a lingering dislike for the author until this afternoon when I finally read an article my dad forwarded to me last week.

Jane Smiley is answering the question: "Why do Americans hate the Democrats?"

The following string of quotes have made me see Jane Smiley in a new light.

"The election results reflect the decision of the right wing to cultivate and exploit ignorance in the citizenry...The error that progressives have consistently committed over the years is to underestimate the vitality of ignorance in America. Listen to what the red state citizens say about themselves, the songs they write, and the sermons they flock to. They know who they are-they are full of original sin and they have a taste for violence. The blue state citizens make the Rousseauvian mistake of thinking humans are essentially good, and so they never realize when they are about to be slugged from behind."

Brilliant! I know many others have said the same thing in different ways, but I am impressed by my old enemy. To read the rest of her column go here.

No comments: