Friday, November 05, 2004

Best Headline

The hilarious headline of the day from CNN.com: Some Kerry supporters glum after loss.

The article itself is about how shrinks in blue states got a spike in business after the election. Which is somehow funny to me... maybe because it's so obvious? What? Kerry supporters are glum? Who could imagine that?

I will admit feeling glum about staring down the barrel of another four years with Bush as president, but I'm doing better. It is not a death sentence. Instead, it's a new reason for us to fight as hard as we can. We have to protect our rights and work to keep our country a place that values difference and individual freedoms. If we all give up and go into a Prozac haze, or worse a pit of despair, who knows what kind of country we'll wake up to in four years.

Anyways, in New Mexico, we still don't know if we're red or blue, but it's sunny out and I can see the mountains out my window and I am feeling less and less glum as I begin to think about ways I can make a difference in the next four years.

Task number one: Cheer up and continue to stand for what I believe in.

A quote from Howard Dean that really sums up what happened and what needs to happen next:

"Tens of millions of us are disappointed today because we put so much of ourselves into this election. We donated money, we talked to friends, we knocked on doors. We invested ourselves in the political process.

That process does not end today. These are not short-term investments. We will only create lasting change if that sense of obligation and responsibility becomes a permanent part of our lives.

Martin Luther King, Jr. said, 'Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. '

We will not be silent. "

No comments: