Monday, November 08, 2004

I couldn't have said it better

"The big danger is one of hubris. There's a tendency after you win your second term to think you're invulnerable. You're not just king of the mountain, you've mastered the mountain. That can often lead to mistakes of excessive pride."
David R. Gergen, former presidential adviser

The above quote is the quote of the day from the New York Times daily e-mail. It so clearly expresses one of my biggest fears about the recent reelection of W. The thing is, we were already witnessing mistakes of excessive pride when Bush hadn't even been elected by the popular majority. Now, since he was elected by the majority, he is running around saying he has "political capital" to burn. This is terrifying.

I saw on the news last night that a school district in
Wisconsin (I think its Wisconsin) is having a serious discussion about teaching creationism in the schools alongside evolution. God help us.

Meanwhile, in Jodiland, things are ok. I had a good weekend that included seeing The Incredibles (awesome), attending a UNM basketball game that we thought was going to be a football game (long story), having a belated birthday lunch with my dad and grandma and Neil in Santa Fe (fun), going to a book signing by Zsolt my old ballet and piano teacher who has since contracted a debilitating disease and is now confined to a wheelchair and wrote a book about living and dying (I cried), received an iPod for my birthday from my parents (very exciting) and ate an entirely too large dinner at the Steaksmith.

My great-aunt Irma is really ill and my mom flew to
Michigan with Irma's daughter (my cousin) Pam. So she missed my birthday lunch. But hopefully she's helping everyone cope and making things better for Irma in her last days. Ugh.

No comments: