Monday, March 29, 2004

Sick

Last Tuesday, I left work with a slight tinge of soreness creeping into the back of my throat. I went to dinner with Nancy, rollerblading with her for about 15 minutes, drove home, took a bath, went to bed and got out of bed two hours later with a fever of 101.5. For the next 48 hours my body hurt too desperately for me to sleep, my tonsils grew to the size of golf balls (but felt like baseballs) and my fever bounced around between 99 and 102 degrees. Ahh Strep, my old enemy.

When I was little, I got strep on occasion and I remember that it wasn't a whole lot of fun, but I had no recollection of the complete and total wipe out that takes place upon infection. I lost five days of my life to the evil Strep bacteria. Five days that I could have been doing things and enjoying life were instead spent in bed or on the couch wishing I could somehow be put out of my misery.

Now I have mountains of work to complete and deadlines speeding toward me like a bullet train. But I am certainly grateful for my health. Nothing better than being really ill to make one appreciate healthy days...