Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Allergic

I am looking at the computer screen through a sea of pollen-induced blur. I am sneezing every two to three minutes and my eyes itch like mosquito bites. This sucks. The allergic state I'm in is impairing my judgment and slowing me down. I hate allergies. Apparently, the scrappy little Juniper tree is responsible for my current condition. I wish I could like Junipers, but I really really hate them.

Thai Food

We have a favorite Thai restaurant. It is, quite possibly, the best Thai restaurant in the U.S. We make this claim. But we have not been to all the other Thai places. We just know ours is good. They have fresh orchids on every table each night. They have a killer lunch buffet. Their prices are terrific and the food is indescribable. We probably average one visit a week to our Thai place and we have done so since we moved here a year and a half ago. But it was only recently that the small woman who owns the place began to talk to us. Now, every time I go to pick up an order to go or when we eat there and get up to pay, she begins witty banter. The first time was the most striking. Neil came to eat with me and Nancy and as we were leaving the owner made some sort of comment about him intruding on girls night and how he should have dressed up as a girl and then, with absolutely no provocation whatsoever, she launched into a story about how there are TONS of transvestites in Thailand and how they are prettier than real women. I don't really remember the rest, but we all walked outside and burst into cackles because a) she had never spoken in the whole year and a half we'd been going there and b) the first thing she ever decided to talk to us about was crossdressers. Wow.

Last night, I got myself veggie pad Thai to go and while I was paying she started telling me when she likes to run her errands. Huh?

The thing is, even with her bizarre nonsequitors, I think she's terrific. I love her accent and I love her new friendly personality and I LOVE her cooking.