Monday, February 02, 2004

O.K. there are certainly more important topics to discuss today, but I have to add my voice to the millions of other voices blabbing about Janet Jackson's tit. I wasn't actually watching the Super Bowl. In fact, for the first time in years... maybe ever, I didn't have the television on at all for the entire Super Bowl. But, Neil and I like to watch the commercials, so we recorded the whole thing and now I think of that little VHS tape in our VCR with dread because I know the horror it holds.

I heard about the boob appearance last night and envisioned a brief cameo. I thought maybe she was wearing a blouse or something and the rapid bouncing of her dance caused an escape... but then I checked out the pictures at the DRUDGE REPORT (warning the previous link should not be clicked on at work)... Oh my. That was no accident. And to make matters worse, it was disgusting. If you're going to bare your breast during dinnertime on the most watched television program of the year, you should at least make sure you're perky and that it looks hot instead of revolting. Granted... the binding nature of her outfit probably helped make the boob look weird and disproportionate... but come on. Why is it that pop stars are in this disgusting game of oneupsmanship? We have Christina and Brittney getting more and more skanky by the minute, that whole kissing thing with Madonna, and now Janet is jumping into the fray by disrobing on live TV.

I am not at all conservative and really have no problem with most things sexual and otherwise. But when famous women proceed to objectify themselves, what hope is there for the rest of us? Unless Justin Timberlake was going to drop his pants at the same time, I think Janet Jackson's exhibitionism was a disservice to women around the world. She made herself look stupid, but she also made a few more men out there think that women should be popping their boobs out more often. She objectified herself and little boys all over the country who were watching the Super Bowl with their fathers got a terrible example of how women behave, got to see a woman as an object.

Personally, when I saw the stunning pictures of last night's performance, I felt ashamed.