Thursday, March 03, 2005

It's March: Marriage, TV on Mute, Moving and other Musings

Last night at the gym, I watched "Fox News at 9" without the sound. Actually, I had sound, but it was coming from my iPod and consisted of Lyle Lovett, Ben Harper, Fiona Apple and Allison Krause (you've gotta love the random function). Anyways, normally when I watch the news, in spite of myself, I tend to become completely captivated by all crime stories. If someone was shot in the South Valley over a drug deal, I need to know about it. When Neil tries to change the channel while I am learning about school children spotting a body from the school bus, I freak out. I am not proud of this. And I really can't even explain it. But last night, watching the news on mute, I realized how terrible it is. Every 30 seconds another map of New Mexico would show up on the screen with an arrow to the town they were talking about and then there would be a mug shot, an image of a bad traffic accident, or a house with crime tape around it. Basically, what I learned from the news last night was that a) bad things happened all over the state yesterday, b) someone drew sketches of Michael Jackson in court yesterday and c) a bunch of Rottweilers are in a big enclosed field someplace out in the country and they are either going to get to stay there or they are going to be euthanized for being "dangerous dogs" (this is the one part in the newscast where I could have benefited from sound.)

I don't really have any conclusions to draw from these observations, except that I need to lessen my obsession with crime and that lots of times local news is kinda lame. (But not when Neil is on.)

So, as of Tuesday, Neil and I have been married for 2 and a half years. It's so funny, because it really doesn't feel that way at all. I still feel like our wedding was only a few months ago. I think that is a good sign. We celebrated the 2.5 anniversary by going to the gym. Doesn't sound exciting, but it was just right. :)

We're going to Italy in about 2 and a half weeks and I am not quite ready for the trip. I bought some train tickets online for while we're there and the credit card company called me with a fraud alert. So I am relieved that happened while we were still here and I could clear it up. Frozen credit cards while out of the country are bad news. In spite of not being ready for the trip, I am really really excited to see my little brother. It's been an extremely long time -- half a year -- without any Dustin time.

And in other news, it is looking like Neil, the dogs, the bunny and I will be making a cross-country move at the end of this year. Yes, that's right, instead of moving to Canada, as I was tempted to do after the election, we're going to plop ourselves down in the thick of it and take up residence in the nation's capitol. (Please don't tell anyone I work with.) Knowing that we are most likely going to do this so far in advance is good and bad. I can't tell my work that I am moving in November when that's a whole 8 months away, but at the same time, how long can I keep it from them without being dishonest? And when do I start looking for a new job? Ahh... there are so many challenges to tackle between now and then, but in spite of it, I am really excited about taking this new adventure. I went to a meeting recently and the speaker studies people who are passionate about their work and she said that one thing all of the passionate workers had in common is that they were risk takers. Neil and I are definitely going to fall into that category come November...

And now a rant. Have any of you seen those promos on Fox about the Stars Without Makeup show? Basically they flash a bunch of famous women with no makeup on, or who were just caught in an unflattering moment and then they say, "You know you love it" or something like that. Now, I'm sorry, but I don't love it. I hate it. And I can't imagine watching a whole 1-hour special about it. Shouldn't every woman be able to go out of the house not looking her best and not fear having her photo snapped and flashed on America's TV screens? And if they are going to scrutinize actresses like that, where are the bad pictures of all the actors? Because you know not every paparazzi shot of George Clooney was taken from a flattering angle. I like reading Us Weekly and learning the celebrity gossip just as much as the next girl, but even if I were famous, I would be a little sad if someone collected all of the unflattering photos of me they could and put them on TV. Yuck, Fox, Yuck.

No comments: