Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Snow Day

Well, after I posted those photos last night, it continued to snow and when I woke up this morning, the amount of snow on my lounge chair had doubled. (of course, I was in too much of a rush to photograph it this morning.) This snow would not be extraordinary if I lived in Santa Fe, or Chicago or someplace else, but here in Albuquerque, we don't get snow like this. Usually, there is a light dusting once or twice a year, but that's it. Snow does not accumulate on cars and trees and streets. It just flutters down and melts. But here we are in March and we have a full-fledged snow day.

All the schools and colleges and some of the courts in town are closed today. For about 10 minutes, I entertained the idea that my office might be closed too, but no such luck. So, here I am. I felt a little bit insane driving to work this morning because there were only about five other people on the road. It was bizarre. Then, despite the fact that I was only driving 30 miles an hour, I got to work 20 minutes early. Pleased with my earliness, I decided to go to Starbucks. Apparently everyone else decided to do the same thing and by the time I got my grande latte with 2% milk and my lowfat blueberry muffin, I was 5 minutes late to work. Sometimes I really excel at defeating myself.

While in line at Starbucks, I got to read the actual print edition of the New York Times. Right on the front page there was an article about how people have tactics they use to fight little annoyances. The first example in the article was about the complete lunacy of the sizes at Starbucks and a man who refuses to order a "Tall, Grande or Venti" and instead says small, medium and large. Another man gets so annoyed by the little subscription cards in magazines that he sends them all back blank so the magazine has to pay for postage. I am sure that I must have tactics like this... but, other than telling telemarketers that we're on the Do Not Call list and hanging up, I can't think of any. I will admit that I often entertain the idea of ordering a medium at Starbucks, but I am just not brave enough. It's so serious in there and people are so practiced at rattling off their drink orders and when I get to the front of the line, I just have to compete. "Grande percent latte, please."

Side rant: Someone who just flew in is in the front entry of the office right now and my co-workers are standing around complaining about air travel with her. I have two thoughts about this: 1) I had assumed the airport might be closed, but apparently it isn't 2) It totally sucks to be forced to make small talk with strangers in business situations.

The Board

I am going to be on a board of directors. That's right, just as we learned we're moving, I was asked to serve on a board of directors for the university's art museum and gallery. I wrestled with this. I couldn't say no and explain the move, because the woman who asked me to do it is a CEO of a credit union. And, I realized, that I actually want to do it. I love art, was looking for a way to get involved with the university and actually may have something to offer the group because of my PR skills. So, I am going to be on a board for seven months which really seems like SUCH a grown up thing to do. But I am positive that I'm not really grown up.

No comments: