Monday, May 03, 2004

Half-Birthday

Happy half-birthday to me! Neil says it would be thrilling that today's my half-birthday if we celebrated half-birthdays... He may not celebrate them, but I do! So, I will go around feeling a little bit more special today because it's my half-birthday.

Camp Kamaji

A couple of weeks ago, the CEO and I were talking about something related to work when suddenly she mentioned her all-girls summer camp and I said:

"You didn't go to Camp Kamaji did you?"

To which she replied with a gaping mouth, wide eyes and a gasp.

She's probably the age of my parents, but yet we still have some very similar childhood memories of our camp and canoe trips in the Canadian Boundary Waters and the color tribes of Camp Kamaji.

Today, she brought in her sweater from camp with all the camp patches on it. By the time I was a camper there, patches had been phased out in favor of paper wallet-sized cards asserting that you had indeed passed on to the next level of sailing...

But how crazy is it that she grew up in the Midwest someplace and I in New Mexico and we both attended a girls camp in Minnesota!

It's always good to find commonalities with one's boss.

Commas

I hate commas. Not because I think they aren't useful, but because I can't seem to make myself learn how to use them. Sure, I have the basics down, but I often leave them out completely or put one too many when my sentences become more complicated... I have a journalism degree and an MFA in writing, but punctuation always manages to trip me up... so I was pleased this morning to learn that the nation's most hallowed newspaper ran this outstanding Op-Ed about how those punctuation sticklers should relax a little and let language change... ahh how refreshing..