Thursday, May 20, 2004

The Gas Station

Yesterday, my gas light came on. I had been doing my best to save gas in the hopes that the prices would go down and I could avoid wasting money feeding the Republican oil machine...but I had to break down and go to the gas station. I went to Chevron because it was on my way back to work after lunch. I got out, put my card in the card reader and started pumping when a loud noise blared at me from speakers in the gas pump. I jumped a foot in the air and whirled around to see that there was a little TV screen playing the news.

First thought: How cool that I can watch the news while pumping gas.
Realization: It's FOX news.
Next thought: Who owns Chevron and why are they shoving this conservative propaganda down my throat?

To make matters worse, a commercial for some glass cleaner came on almost instantly after my little TV turned on. As soon as the tank was full and the pump clicked off, the TV turned off so I didn't even get to finish watching the commercial. What if they had been in the middle of a really interesting news segment and it had clicked off? I think these little TVs are worse than no TV at all.

Oh, and then my gas bill was $22 and it used to cost around $14 to fill up my tank. Gotta love wars over oil.

Angel

Last night was the series finale of Angel. This is a bummer because that means next year I will end up watching something like The Bachelor religiously, having lost my favorite two shows (first Buffy and now Angel). I don't think I have ever been this into a television show since Doogie Houser.

The Angel finale was ok. But sort of disappointing because everything didn't wrap up perfectly. Everybody didn't live happily ever after and I don't like a whole lot of realism in my entertainment.

No comments: