Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Half-Birthday, Teacher's Day, Illness and Mother's Day

Yesterday was my half-birthday. I know it's silly to be 26 (and a half) and still want to celebrate my half-birthday.. but, that's just how I am. I am a birthday fanatic and that includes half-birthdays. Of course nothing happened for the half-b-day, other than a water glass toast with Neil at lunch yesterday. But, I still woke up with that old feeling of excitement, the one you get in the morning before a flight to someplace exciting, or first thing on Christmas, or Chanukah. "aha," I thought, "There's something special about today." And I realized that sometimes, all you have to do to make a day special is decide that it is.

Apparently May 3 was also Teacher's Day. I didn't know there was such a day, but it makes sense. While driving to work, the morning show I listen to was having people call in and talk about their favorite teachers. I thought, "I should call in!" but then I tried to narrow it down: who was my favorite teacher? And I got stuck. Here's the list I made in my head: Katie from preschool, Ms. Pong from 3rd grade, Mrs. Garcia from 5th grade, Zsolt from ballet and piano, Sparky from middle school history, Ms. Wampler from 9th grade algebra, Mr. Schiff from 10th grade history, Jay from high school science, Mr. Lang from 10th grade English, Mrs. Fischer from 12th grade English, Mr. Kurth from Humanities, Gene Aker from high school Journalism, Marda Dunsky from college journalism, Mike Rilley from college journalism, Carl Phillips from senior year of college poetry seminar, David Protess from college journalism, Fran Paden from Women's Studies, Susan Cheever from grad school, Sven Birkerts from grad school, Bob Schacochis from grad school. And I am sure, that if I could remember the really intelligent TA who taught the feminism seminar senior year of college his name would be on this list too.

So then I got to thinking about how incredibly influential teachers are. I realize that I am stating the obvious, but then again, is it that obvious? The teachers listed above not only helped shape how I think and how I understand the world, but they also helped shape how I see myself. They shared with me their knowledge and they let me know that they learned from me as well -- that I was valued. And now, nearly 20 years later (what has it been, 18 or 19 since I was in 3rd grade?) I can still remember how Ms. Pong made me feel and what she taught me. Perhaps I should be a teacher?

Illness: Neil got really ill again this week. It was the second time since I've known him and the first time was only about a month ago. On Wednesday night, I woke up to the sound of puking and spent the next couple of hours taking care of Neil and cleaning the bathroom -- not good. Please oh please, let this be the end of illness for the two of us for a while.

And Finally: This weekend is Mother's Day. I am dreading it. Not because I don't love my mom and my grandma. I do, very much. But I hate the politics that have recently entered my family. It makes me ill just thinking about it. Hopefully, however, we will have a good Mother's Day brunch and all of the stuff I am worried about will remain under the surface where I won't have to deal with it... Wish me luck...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, jodi.

My mane is Victor, I'm a literature's student. I would like you to tell me some names of new narrators from USA, like Schacochis. I really need some advice. You can write to me here: lositinerantes@gmail.com

Thanks.