Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Shoes

I am in the middle of two shoe battles of epic proportions... They haven't come to blows yet, but I won't be surprised if they do.

I somehow became responsible for picking bridesmaid shoes for two weddings this summer and I seem to be doing an abysmal job. I have spent several hours at work clicking through department store shoe departments and shoe websites online and e-mailing links to the bridesmaids and brides. I have gone to a department store to try these shoes on in person. I found the perfect shoe for one wedding, only to then learn that the bride didn't actually like the color and one or two bridesmaids decided, from a picture, that the shoe wouldn't be comfortable. Each time I e-mail a link to a shoe, someone else pitches in with another link to a shoe with a heel that's WAY too high or a price tag WAY too big.

Nobody is trying to be difficult, but I have come to realize that you just don't mess with women and their shoes. I personally do not want to buy two pairs of shoes that I will never wear again. And if we have to settle on shoes I will never wear again, can't they at least be inexpensive? I am sure that all eight of the other girls (four from one wedding and four from another) also want shoes that fit them just right and are exactly their taste. But I want to stand up at a podium and tell them that it just doesn't work that way... we can't ALL be comfortable and satisfied. That is why not everyone should be involved in the shoe-picking process. But it is too late... the battles have begun and I have to just sit back and see what happens.


Dogs

I am completely, entirely obsessed with getting a dog (or dogs). It can't just be any dog, it has to be a Maltese, or another similar-looking little white dog that I can fool myself into thinking is a Maltese. I have been to the humane society shelter, both city pounds (more than once) a gazillion animal rescue sites and I've applied with at least three rescues. I found a dog at each city pound that was absolutely perfect a couple weekends ago, but both had a long list of people signed up to adopt them. I thought I was going to get one of them when the shelter told me the first people didn't adopt her and I had until noon to come get her. I sped over there, leaving work, and was sooooo excited, but when I went to the window to fill out papers, they told me they'd made a mistake, the first people still had until 6 that night and I could come tomorrow if she hadn't been adopted. Of course, she was adopted.

Yesterday, I got a call from the Colorado Shih Tzu and Maltese Rescue saying that they have a pair of Malteses who are 5 years old and love to cuddle and need a home. I SOOOO want to go to Denver and get them. But it is two dogs and I only had Neil sold on one. I want them so much that I can hardly think about other things (except for bridesmaid shoes and the occasional thought about work...ohdeargodineedtogettowork) I think they sound perfect. They will need a little training, but other than that, they like people, are used to being around other animals so might bond with our bunny, are relatively young since they live to be 14-17...