Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Changes

My life is changed forever.

O.K. that may be a little extreme, but, things are definitely different around the Neil and Jodi household. This past weekend we drove to Denver and picked up two of the littlest and cutest dogs ever.

Then we drove them home through a snow storm, stayed at a Holiday Inn Express where they had some issues with the room and thought that going to the bathroom all over it might make it a bit nicer (We should be banned from that hotel chain for life), continued driving in snow on Sunday, and got home late Sunday night after a stop to visit my parents. The first night at home SUCKED because, despite their diminutive size, the dogs howled and whined loudly nearly all night and we got no sleep... but since then, things have improved. They have slept through the night for the last two nights and are making great progress on the potty training.

When I'm home, I have permanent attachments who follow me everywhere and would rather be on my lap than anyplace. The only trouble? I am not really interested in constantly sitting to accommodate them. I've never been the recipient of such undeserved devotion... but it feels nice.

I think Neil is having fun with them too. He's had the most exhausting four days ever. His work chipped in to further his exhaustion by calling him in to work yesterday at 5:30 in the morning. (and the dogs slept through the phone call!!!) I hope he gets rested soon so he can enjoy our new family members... (not that he's not enjoying them.. but I'm sure he'll enjoy them more when he's not on the verge of sleep)

On Monday, after two nights of less than 4 hours of sleep, I left the dogs in their crate and stumbled into work late. I was queasy from being so tired and my eyes had a permanent blur and I felt sooooooooooo guilty for leaving the dogs crying and that the bunny was locked in her room and that Neil was so tired, that I started crying and I wondered if I could ever be a mom and live through the pangs of guilt and worry I would inevitably feel. I am happy to report, however, that much of Monday's emotional crisis was related to my sleepless state... Still not sure about the kid thing... but I imagine that it will feel right someday.

Next step, let dogs and bunny meet. Ohmygoodness what have we gotten ourselves into?