Thursday, June 02, 2005

Insanity

Things are completely insane right now. I applied for my first job in D.C. over the long weekend in preparation for our upcoming move. Today, they called me at work to set up a phone interview. What is interesting about this is that I gave them my home number -- NOT my work number! I have not told my boss that I am moving yet, but it is becoming clear that I will have to soon. I just don't want to be looked at as a short-timer for the next four and a half months. Or, worse, I don't want to be fired. I think it would be seriously not right for them to make me leave my job early, but I can't help but be a little concerned. You never know what people will do when they discover you are leaving.

So, I am excited to have a phone interview for my first attempt at finding a job, but now I have to do the interview from work on Friday morning... or I have to leave work at nine in the morning and do the interview from my car. It is all very awkward and to make things worse, I really like my job right now. I like my boss and my coworkers and I feel very sad that I have to tell them I am leaving. Blech.

In other news, Neil and I discovered that we have only about 6 free weekends between now and when we move in late Oct. This discovery has made me think we should start packing boxes now so that we're not completely unprepared when the time to move comes. I am really excited about our new adventure, but I wish I could snap my fingers and magically end up in the perfect (and low-priced) apartment with all of my things around me and a great job to report to on Monday. Somehow, I suspect it will take a little more work.

No comments: