Thursday, July 07, 2005

You Can Call Me Huckleberry

This story is a little overdue... but I had a very strange experience at my work's convention that I've been meaning to relate. One of the things we do at my office is run a website for kids and part of the site allows kids to submit jokes to be published on the site (at our discretion.) So, at the convention, a man walked up to me and informed me that he had submitted a joke. He said he loves the website, plays the games on it, and sent in a joke under the name Huckleberry... I did my best fake laugh and tried to end the conversation, but he continued to tell me that while his name was Fernando or something like that, he really wanted to change it to Huckleberry. My co-worker, Rebecca, and I nearly burst out laughing until we realized he was completely serious. So, I said something about how it's easy to legally change your name and he could do it any time he wanted. My new friend went on to explain how sad his mother would be because he was named after his deceased grandfather... (All the time he was talking to me he was staring at me a little too closely and a little too intently for me to feel comfortable.)And then... he looked me right in the eye in that cheesy-wannabe-romantic-but-actually-just-creepy fashion that some men are so skilled at and said, "But you can call me Huckleberry."

Wow. I have no idea how I ended the conversation. I believe I turned bright red and tried to hide under the table. Aren't people so amazing?

No comments: