Monday, July 18, 2005

Another one of these things

O.K. Stan. You got me. Here goes.

Remove the blog at #1 from the following list.
Bump every one up one place.
Add your blog's name in the #5 spot.
Link to each of the other blogs for the desired cross-pollenation effect.

the girl in camouflage
naughty maverick
musings
Whatever!
j.g.s.


What five things do you miss about your childhood?

I am not tagging anyone for this one, but maybe a couple of you will feel like reminiscing?

1) I miss always having someone cook for me. This sounds a little silly, I realize, but there is something so wonderful about being fed three meals a day plus snacks. The food my parents made ALWAYS tasted better than anything I could make myself, and it was probably healthier than what I might choose for myself. I miss ants on a log and deviled eggs and (don't laugh) Mommy McMuffins (my mom's healthier version of Egg McMuffins from McDonald's).

2) I miss my little brother. I miss living with Dustin and I miss the way he used to look up to me. Now, I am always trying to be cool enough for him! I miss dressing up as monsters together, which involved taking out all of the winter accessories and draping ourselves in them. I miss playing video games with him and just getting to see him every day.

3)I miss endless afternoons on my bike with friends. There was a sense of freedom I got from riding my bike around the neighborhood that was so wonderful and simple. Now I have to board a plane that's taking me to another continent to achieve that same sense of freedom.

4) I miss not having to worry about things like money and debt and not being able to have things I wanted. I was completely sheltered from all of that for most of the time I lived in my parents' house and it was wonderful.

5) I miss the way my family was (parents were) when we were growing up. I miss the way family holidays felt and the togetherness we used to have. It has been gone for a while now and maybe that's just something that once it has dissipated, cannot be recreated... but I miss it. I miss that feeling of closeness and the security and contentment that came with it.

Whewh. Well that was a little bit of a bummer. I probably could have kept going to ten things at least. Maybe next time it will be five things you'd miss if you went back to childhood... Like, independence, confidence, my husband, my freedom, not having to live by my parents' rules etc. etc. Ok. I feel better now.

No comments: