Friday, January 28, 2005

The End of The Week

Some thoughts for the end of the week...

1) When the sun came out yesterday, the mountains were covered in snow and it was beautiful.

2) Every day on the way to work, I pass a field. It is right next to this 6-lane monstrosity of a road, but for some reason, cranes choose to hang out on the field all winter. This morning I saw a few silhouetted in the morning sun. They are completely graceful and unaware of the craziness surrounding them, the people racing down the road to get to their offices...those like me who are late, taping their fingers on the steering wheel. This morning, I decided that the cranes are a gift and a reminder that it's ok to slow down -- or something like that. In any case, this morning's cranes helped me take a deep breath and appreciate my life.

3) New music can often make me feel better than a new outfit or eating really good food...Even though I shouldn't have, I bought the new Ani Difranco CD yesterday. So far it's great. One song even gave me the chills. Unlike movies or books, songs and poems deliver the emotional payoff in a smaller package. So instead of waiting for an hour and a half for the kiss at the end of the romantic comedy, I can read a poem, or listen to a song and get to the emotional truth of it within minutes. There's something really simple about that -- like having a shot of culture/art/human experience... instead of having a beer.

4) There are so many things to be afraid of in life and I am working on limiting my fears. Wouldn't it be amazing if no one was limited by financial fears, for instance? I am realizing that I am really terrified of money and I don't like that about myself. I will see what can be done about it, short of winning the lottery.

No comments: