Friday, January 23, 2004

Back Pain and Political Obsessions

Ok. My back hurts. It's not just an ache, it's a full-on super-strength pain that I can't ignore. I have no idea how I did this to myself. Current theory: crunches at the gym last night. Lame. I have nothing else to say about this unfortunate situation.

In other news, I need to cease my obsession with politics. It is out of control. I can't stop reading political news stories. The Gawker people came up with a new political web log and I almost jumped out of my chair when I found out about it. (I probably would have leapt up were it not for the fact that my back hurts so much I can hardly move.) Wonkette seems like it has potential. I wish I'd started it.

I suppose Neil is not a help in curbing my political problem. Last night we watched a DVD he ordered about CNN's coverage of the 2000 election and then when it ended we flipped to Fox News (evil) where they were re-broadcasting last night's debate and watched that. I swear I would get a thousand times more work done if I wasn't compelled to search the web for campaign news daily.

New life plan of the moment: Run for president.

In the meantime, my weekend plans (skiing tomorrow, rollerblading Sunday) have seemingly been destroyed by the back disaster of '04. Very frustrating. Maybe I will read two more books this weekend to get on track for the 52 book plan?

And now, back to politics:

Highlight of last night's debate: Clark's clever answer to his party-affiliation issues: "I'm pro-choice, pro-affirmative action, pro-environment, pro-labor. I was either going to be the loneliest Republican in America or I was going to be a happy Democrat."
And Dean's good humored reaction to Sharpton's quote of the evening: "Well, first of all, let me say this. I wanted to say to Governor Dean, don't be hard on yourself about hooting and hollering. If I had spent the money you did and got 18 percent, I'd still be in Iowa hooting and hollering." (Debate Transcript)

Goals for the weekend: Relax, Resist watching news, Read, Heal my back.