Tuesday, December 02, 2003

Ahhh four day weekends. The Thanksgiving holiday was incredibly long. It was almost long enough to make me forget about the fact that I am a working stiff, but not quite.

Thursday was really a perfect day. Neil and I slept in until 9:30 and then drove to Santa Fe where we were greeted by a house full of people. My dad and brother were there as expected, but my cousin Pam was also there with her girlfriend's three sons and their best friend. The kids were playing with the pool table and we didn't interact with them a whole lot, but just having the house filled with voices and bodies and holiday energy was terrific. My grandma showed up a short time later, followed by my mom and the dog who had been on a run in the arroyo.

We spent the afternoon talking over each other, talking to each other, laughing, snacking while preparing food etc.

Dinner was at 4 (way earlier than I am used to and probably part of my mom's weight-loss/health philosophy) And I quote: Mom: "We don't want to eat dinner too late it's not good for us!" Me: "Mom, since when was 4:00 late for dinner?"

After dinner, my dad and brother crashed on the couch and my mom and grandma and Neil and I hung around. Then we woke everyone up, ate pie and went to see Love Actually, a perfectly fun movie to end the holiday.

The rest of the weekend was ok. My brother got really bummed on Friday about college and life in general and I felt frustrated and helpless to help him which is really a miserable way to feel when you care about someone so much... But he seems to be leaving NM this morning in a more positive state of mind.

Neil and I went rollerblading on Saturday and walking on Sunday and we managed to go to only one store the entire weekend, Target. We went on Saturday in hopes of finding some perfect Chanukah gifts for family and left without any gifts but with $80 worth of stuff and massive headaches. Why on earth do so many people LOVE shopping on Thanksgiving weekend. So what if it is tradition, it's a terrible one.

Now I just finished the second day of the five day work week. Ahh, how quickly reality sets in.