Tuesday, December 09, 2003

I am old.

Ok, I know, you are thinking something like, "Hello, Jodi, you're only 25." But I feel old. Not physically so much. My body still mends quickly, loses and gains weight quickly and is mostly pain free. But I am 25 years old and not yet rich, not yet famous, not yet influential, not yet who I thought I was going to be.

That sounds very shallow. Allow me to explain. As part of my job, I am in charge of writing snappy articles about finances for a teenage audience. The girl who had this job before me subscribed to Teen People and YM magazines as sources of inspiration. This was a good move on her part since these magazines provide interesting ideas for my co-worker who designs the newsletter and examples of teen-friendly writing for me. The problem is that I often find myself reading these magazines from cover to cover. I would never buy them on the newsstand. Jane, Allure, Real Simple, In Style, Atlantic Monthly, The New Yorker, Newsweek and maybe maybe US Weekly -- these are the magazines I am allowed to buy at my age. But when I have the teen magazines sitting on my desk and come across something as captivating as an article about Mary Kate and Ashley and their plans for college, I cannot help myself. I have to read.

Today, I read the majority of Teen People and wasted about 40 minutes before I realized what I was doing. And what I discovered is that nearly everyone in the magazine was my age or younger. All of the new crop of famous girls are little kids. Kera Knightly is only 18! Then we have other teen sensations like Hillary Duff and Raven. Even Britney and Christina are younger than me. And the ones who are my age or older have been famous for eons already. I used to read teen magazines and think about how I would be in their pages someday for something amazing like writing a bestselling book at age 18 or being randomly discovered and transformed into an international film star. Now I am looking at kids as old as the neighbors I used to babysit who have achieved a very tangible form of success. Compound this with the recently gained knowledge that Sarah Michelle Gellar made $350,000 per episode during the last season of Buffy The Vampire Slayer and I feel like a failure.

It's not that I want to be a famous actress and let's face it, as much as I'd like to dream, rock stardom is probably not in my future. But I want to make a name for myself, make an impact. Be somebody of note, or at least somebody of merit.

Maybe this crisis is in part due to the fact that I used to be a...newspaper reporter...which was a heady thing to be at times. I had a power and a certain prominence that other people did not have and I also believed that I was doing something very important. So what if I was not making much money and was working for a corporate devil, I was doing something I believed in and I was making an impact. Now that I don't do that any more, I have sort of lost my focus. Where am I going again?

In high school and even in college, I always felt like I was in the process of becoming someone. There was an undefined state of being looming on the horizon. I knew I would get there someday and all the work would pay off. Then I graduated from college and I wasn't there yet so I fled back to graduate school. And here I am, one year after getting my MFA in writing and all I've published since then have been articles telling teenagers how to save their money. Sure, I received a few flattering rejection letters, but this won't do. I am 25 and I am still on my way to being whoever it is I am destined to become. I just hope I'm not too late, too old, past my prime.

I'm staring down the backside of my 20's at 30 and in this youth-obsessed culture, I am afraid that each day, I become less and less interesting.

(I am mostly sure that I will get over this soon, I just need to stay away from the teen magazines.)