Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Oh Dear

Several public moments of stupidity in the media today:

Poor Caitlin Upton. I have no idea how she managed to say something so incomprehensible, but there you have it. I am sure that she's not THAT dumb, but somehow she managed to string a whole bunch of words together in a way that made absolutely no sense. It didn't help that she had a vapid look on her face and a blank tone of voice. I know that I was incredibly self-conscious when I was her age, I can't imagine how I would have felt if my most embarrassing moment had been broadcast on You Tube for millions to watch. People are saying that her answer shows how dumb Americans are or somehow makes a broader statement about our culture. I don't believe that's the case. I think she just got scared and nervous, but wow is it funny! Hang in there Caitlin - definitely a classy move to go on the Today Show this morning - way to go.

And for fun. here's a transcript of her answer to why a fifth of Americans could not locate the United States on a world map (yikes): “I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uhmmm, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and uh, I believe that our, I, education like such as, uh, South Africa, and uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uhhh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for us.”

I have a bit less sympathy for Idaho Senator Larry Craig who pleaded guilty to lewd conduct in June when he was caught soliciting another man in an airport bathroom and didn't bother telling his wife about it until it broke in the news yesterday. He is a conservative Republican who wants to pass an amendment defining marriage as a union between one man and one woman, but many gay man say they have had sex with him, he has been accused of lewd conduct in the past, and should I repeat the fact that he plead guilty in June and didn't tell his wife??? Today he held a press release during which he repeated "I'm not gay" multiple times in an angry tone and all I could think while watching him was, "Wow, he must really hate himself." And there I am, back to feeling sorry for him. I know it's hard, especially for men of his generation, to be open about sexual preference. But isn't it simpler when we're ourselves? And shouldn't people elected to public positions be as honest and open as possible? Doesn't it all eventually come out anyways? Yes, I am an idealist, but senator or no senator, Larry Craig has some work to do because he's not going to be happy until he is comfortable with who he is.

No comments: