Monday, October 25, 2004

Hmm...

First of all, I tried to update last week to write about this awesome event I went to with Nancy on Wednesday night called First Fiction 2004. Basically five authors who recently published their first novels came to Albuquerque and read from their books at a bar downtown. It was very very cool and inspiring and it just felt good to be around a bunch of literary people for a bit...It made me long for the long days at Bennington and the faculty and student readings and endless literary discussions over every single meal. I had some more profound things to say about the whole experience last week, but then my entire post was deleted. So for now, that's all I've got.

So, today, I had to look up a teen author who submitted an article to me and then vanished. We want to publish it but need her photo and her address so we can pay her blah blah blah... After exhausting everything else, I decided to Google her and lo and behold, there she was. I found her blog and it had a different e-mail address on it and, gasp, a phone number. So, my problem may be solved. But then I began to wonder how easy it would be to find me. I typed in my first and last name and sure enough, the first link to me came up from a newspaper article about credit unions in which I was quoted but the second was this blog. Now, I thought I had done a good job of hiding the blog, or at least not attaching it to my whole name... apparently not. I got sloppy and put my name on the little copyright line at the bottom of the blog. (I changed it this afternoon to only show my initials, but might be stuck in Google's search engine for a long time to come). It's not like I am publishing nuclear secrets on here or anything, but I also like to maintain some degree of anonymity... so that someone looking me up can't type in my name in Google, stumble upon my blog and learn way more about me than I want them to know. Not sure what to do to resolve this dilemma. Can I contact Google and ask to be removed? When will their little monkeys come across my now name-free page again and update their files? Augh.

Meanwhile, Neil is out of town and has been since Saturday morning. It's lonely without him. I am really looking forward to some quality husband time sometime soon.

And finally a consumer warning, DO NOT sign up for alarm service with Protect America. They are an evil company with many tricks and traps in their contracts and with salesmen who lie to get business. Long long story, but take my word for it.

No comments: