Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Umbrellas and Poor Planning

Next week I am going to Washington D.C. for the national Hike the Hill for credit unions. Fifteen people from New Mexico will be with our group and thousands of others from around the country will descend on the District as well. Our little group will be visiting our five legislators. (Other states have to make 15 or 20 visits and we only make five – yay for living in an under-populated state.)

As part of our visit to their offices, where we explain to them or their staffers how credit unions are different from banks and why we have a not-for-profit structure and deserve the tax-exempt status we are granted at the state and federal level, we always bring a gift. In June, we had little backpacks with pens and playing cards inside. This time, I decided to go all-out and order umbrellas with my company's new name and logo printed on them. Credit unions have been referred to as financial umbrellas for our members (shielding members from the financial storms of life – no, I am not kidding… that’s a bit too good to make up) so I thought it was clever idea. I looked through countless catalogues of promotional items and settled on some big heavy-duty umbrellas. They're not quite as large as golf umbrellas, but they're also far from the little cheap fold-up umbrellas.

So, I have had this large box of umbrellas in my office for a few weeks now and it only just dawned on me that we might not even be able to get them through security at the congressional office buildings. Each umbrella has a long metal point on top and they could easily double as weapons. Not only might they be banned by security, but I also have to carry them around the city with me. (Please note that we are giving two umbrellas to each office.) Some of the days we have meetings with two different legislative offices with lunch in between and a meeting beforehand. That means I could be carrying four large umbrellas from 8 a.m. until I drop the last one off at 3p.m. And I could be dropping it off in the trash can at the security station instead of in the arms of a New Mexico lawmaker...

Way to go Jodi... My bright idea has turned into a potential nightmare... not to mention the fact that I have to get these things on the airplane with me... Oh the joys of post-9/11 life (and poor planning).

No comments: