Monday, September 27, 2004

The Joy of Fall and Being a Tourist in Washington

I have been walking around all day feeling very happy. Even thought it is Monday and I had to battle with and almost fire our printer and I am staring down the barrel of an incredibly hectic week, I have been feeling really happy and I think it's because it's fall. There's a crisp chill in the air and some leaves are turning yellow and Halloween and Thanksgiving are approaching and I couldn't be happier.

I love fall. Neil and I got to drink hot chocolate in our living room last night and not feel ridiculous. Had we done this a couple weeks earlier when it was still in the 80s outside, we would have been very silly.

Fall means being able to be cozy in my house while wearing pjs and slippers. Fall means the International Balloon Fiesta (which starts this weekend), and it means that we get to carve pumpkins soon and that I can take walks with co-workers at lunch without boiling alive and melting into the pavement.

D.C. last week didn't feel a bit like fall. It was in the 80's every day. Overall the trip was a success. We met with our legislators; they liked the umbrellas and seemed convinced of the virtues of our industry. I also got to do some touristy things this time, unlike my trip in June. I went to some of the monuments at night -- very cool. Shopped in Georgetown -- nothing amazing. Went out in Adams Morgan -- fun. Got into the Native American Museum which just opened last Tuesday -- incredibly cool. And, visited the panda bears at the National Zoo -- wonderful.
Much of the time I was serving as tour guide for some of the people on the trip. That was frustrating at times, but not terrible.

Observations:

1. Within about a three mile radius of the Capitol Building black suits are required. Some women accessorize said black suits with things like colored shirts or scarves, but even that could be frowned on.

2. The police are fond of shutting down roads willy-nilly. I realize this is probably because of the massive number of important people in Washington D.C. at any given time... but it's ridiculous.

3. Everybody in D.C. is interested in politics, including cab drivers who are too interested and try to shove politics down the throats of innocent passengers.

Could I live in the District sometime? I think I could. I don't know how long I'd last there, but it has a lot to offer and it could be a lot of fun.

No comments: