Friday, September 17, 2004

Apples, Honey and Heading to The District

Yesterday was Rosh Hashanah -- the Jewish new year. We are now in the year 5765 (I'm pretty sure about that). So, in honor of this day, I spent three and a half hours in temple yesterday. When I was little I used to hate the high holidays. They were the only two days of the year that I was guaranteed to have my little but in a pew at synagogue and be dressed up (usually in uncomfortable tights) and suffer. To me, those few hours were excruciating. But for the last few years, it really hasn't been so bad. It's actually nice to celebrate the new year. And since we're living in New Mexico, I get to go to the same temple I went to as a kid and it feels like home in a strange way...even if I didn't really enjoy my time there growing up. For the next ten days I am supposed to think very hard about the things I did wrong last year and I'm supposed to act like a model citizen so that I get written into the book of life for this coming year. Pretty heavy stuff...

A Rosh Hashanah tradition is eating apples dipped in honey to symbolize a sweet new year. Last night after dinner, my mom, dad, grandma and Neil and I sat around in my parents' living room and ate apples and honey. They were so good...and I couldn't figure out if they were actually amazing apples with amazing honey or if part of the reason they tasted so good was the company I was with and the tradition we were keeping.

On Monday, I am headed for the District. (I think this name for Washington D.C. is really amusing and have been overusing it lately) I sent my 25 umbrellas off with UPS a couple days ago and now have to figure out how to squeeze about 10 glorified tote bags in my suitcase. Ah the joys of planning an event. Today I have been fielding "What do I wear" calls. Hopefully, I will not get arrested for my weapon-like umbrellas, nor will I be eaten alive by any of the trip participants and I will return home alive and well Thursday night.

New Music Alert: The Postal Service's album Give Up is awesome. (Please note, the first track is titled "The District Sleeps Alone" and District is, in fact, referring to Washington D.C.)

No comments: