Friday, August 06, 2004

Exhaustion

I have noticed that some periods of time are more exhausting than others. This may sound incredibly obvious... but I am not so sure it is... For example, some weeks go by very quickly -- I go to work each day and come home and it's Monday morning and the next thing I know it it's Friday afternoon. Those types of weeks go too quickly to feel exhausting or boring or monotonous (though they probably are monotonous). But then there are weeks like this one during which each day feels like three or four days and by the time Friday afternoon rolls around all I want to do is crawl under the comforter and hibernate. It is one of those Friday afternoons right now... I am soooo tired.

In fact, while trying to type a letter here at work this afternoon, I started nodding off. This was a dire situation not even coffee could fix it. I think I arrived in this end-of-week stupor because I only got six or seven hours of sleep each night this week, I started the week off with my late-night speeding extravaganza, my days at work have been uninspiring and long, last night I went to Santa Fe with Neil and we didn't get home until midnight...and I am sure there must be other reasons... like my binging on sugar this week and my overuse of caffeine.

What bothers me is that this insane schedule and lifestyle are not at all what I am striving for... How do I slow things down long enough to make the changes necessary to live a more balanced life? Or will things just balance themselves out eventually?

No comments: