Monday, October 01, 2007

October Musings
It's October and temperatures are still up in the 80s during the day. I am longing for Fall. It's so late that I'm afraid we'll just jump right into Winter and skip over Fall all together.

A couple weeks ago, Neil and I went to the Kennedy Center's annual open house and I've been meaning to blog about it. We arrived and saw a Mexican techno band play, then we saw Canadian acrobats who were amazing and for the last show of the day we got to see a 1.5 hour Ben Kweller concert which was fantastic. He is my new favorite. Best thing about the whole day? All the shows were free. We just had to show up and wait in line. Living in DC can be really fun and culturally enriching.

The next weekend we went for a walk on Sunday. We left our house, walked down the National Mall, saw a live Jazz festival, ran across the guy who danced around the world and saw him dancing in front of the capitol, visited the Washington Monument. went into two museums and then headed home. All we had set out to do was go for a walk.

I like it when life just leads you in a random direction and you uncover unexpected delights. It happens more often than we realize, I think. I'm trying to notice it more - to keep that sense of wonder even in my more mundane days.

In other news, my favorite song of the moment is Home for a Rest by Spirit of the West. Download it from iTunes. You will not be sorry.

No comments: