Friday, June 28, 2002

Well, if I intended to make a regular thing out of this blog stuff, I was not successful. It seems that once my job ended and I didn't have to sit in front of a computer all day, I just didn't. I sat down at night to write for school and avoided this machine like the plague the rest of the time. Now I work at Barnes and noble which has been an incredibly humbling experience, but at least the people are nice... Actually I have met more intelligent people at the bookstore than at my previous job. But there is nothing like the way customers look at cashiers to make you feel small. I want to tell them that I have a degree from a good university and am working toward a masters and that they should stop judging people...But usually I just smile and ask if they'd like a bag for their books.

tonight it rained incredibly hard and despite the day's earlier temperature of over 100, for a while it hailed here. Huge hail that melted almost instantly once it hit the pavement. The streets were flooded and I loved it. After dinner it smelled like wet dirt and gardenias, that damp earth smell that I have always loved and is all too rare here. I feel refreshed.