Monday, April 27, 2009

Endings and Beginnings

This is the beginning of my last week working for the nonprofit where I've been employed for the past three and a half years. It has been time for me to take my next step for a little while now and I'm excited to be moving on, but there is, of course, always a sadness that comes with this kind of transition. I believe I started this blog during my final two weeks at another job. Funny that it seems like a lifetime ago that I was nervously resigning from my newspaper job. I'm feeling much more confident this time around.

.....

Walking home from the metro today, DC really felt like home. It's my favorite time of year here, one of the first three or four days when it's been warm enough to venture outside in a skirt and short sleeves. The sun was shining, the sky was bright blue, the air is still dry and spring-like, lacking summer's intense humidity, and all of the trees and bushes are in bloom. Something about days like this makes me feel limitless optimism and freedom. My new job is downtown about 10 blocks from my apartment and I'm looking forward to spending more time in this city that I've somehow come to love.

.....

And finally, Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Quarterfinals is tomorrow night. My entire being is buzzing with excitement and nerves. I can't totally explain how I became this obsessed with hockey. I am not sure I can even partly explain it. As I sit here I am wearing red and white polka dotted pj pants with a Caps logo on them and a Caps t-shirt. I am currently calculating in my head how early I can leave work tomorrow in order to get home in time to get ready and get to the game early. Tonight I'll probably dream about the game. I'm nuts - but it's so much fun. Go Caps!

No comments: